Last Saturday, I took part in the Ground Cover project installation. It was a wonderful, overwhelming two days. I knew the project was huge–300 blankets completed by some 600 crafters–but until I saw it all laid out and filling an empty lot, I didn’t realize just how huge it was. When the time came to break the project down, it was amazing to see how quickly a few dozen people were able to return the lot to its empty state. The entire project would seem so impermanent, except I handled a lot of the blankets. They were well-made, some with words and pillows and pads and pockets built in, and they will be warming people in need for a long time to come.
Landscaping cloth marked out in rectangles, ready for blankets
The lift that took a time lapse video of the installation as it was maneuvered into place
We all wore booties over our shoes to keep the blankets clean.
C-11 was my blanket
First blanket out of our bag!
Once the blankets were laid out, we had to squish them into one piece
Making sure every blanket lined up just so
We went crazy with safety pins and turkey lacers, pinning the blankets together so they looked like one piece
One last look before disassembling
My blanket, folded up and ready to go
Folding the blankets and stacking them in piles to go to charities happened so fast
300 blankets, ready to be taken to 300 people in need
In under an hour, it was all gone, except for the people